These Paper Mache Jack O’ Lanterns are such a fun craft to do with the kids, and are so effective. Perfect for Halloween!
I actually had the idea to make these a while ago when we made our Paper Mache Hot Air Balloon. It turned out so well using watered down PVA glue and tissue paper, that I thought it would also be great way to make paper mache Jack O’ Lanterns for Halloween.
Rather than my usual tutorials, this time I have done a little video to show how easy it is, but I will give you a few pointers as well. So if you would like to see how we made our Paper Mache Jack O’ Lanterns read on and watch the video, or pin it for later!
Pin Paper Mache Jack O’ Lanterns for Later!
What You Will Need
- PVA glue and paintbrush
- Orange tissue paper torn in to pieces/strips
- A balloon
- Old bowls
- Jam jar lid
- Green washi tape
- Black card (or you can print off the pdf)
- Stick glue
- LED tealight
How You Make Your Paper Mache Jack O’ Lanterns
- Add a small amount of water to some PVA glue. You need roughly one part water to three parts glue.
- Partially blow up the balloon to make it round and tie a knot in the end. Paint the glue mixture onto the balloon surface and start sticking on strips and pieces of the orange tissue paper. You need to make sure it’s well covered, and I try to make sure there are at least two layers of tissue paper, finishing off with a final layer of glue mixture.
- Leave to dry. I dry mine in an old bowl overnight and turn it every now and then so it doesn’t stick to the sides of the bowl.
- To make the top of the pumpkin, I used a jam jar lid covered in green washi tape. I made a ‘stalk’ by folding the tape as shown in the video.
- Once the pumpkin has dried, trim the top to burst the balloon and make the opening big enough to remove the balloon. You will need to carefully peel this from the tissue paper shell, and reform the shell if needed.
- Stick the Jack O’ Lantern features onto your orange paper mache pumpkin shell. You can make your own out of some black card or paper, or print of this PDF I made for you to simplify the process.
- That’s it, just pop a little LED tealight into your paper mache Jack O’ Lantern, pop the top on and your done!
Check out this video we made which helps explain the steps more clearly.
If you would like to print off your own Jack O Lantern features, click on the link below:
So what do you think of our Paper Mache Jack O’ Lanterns? I’d love to hear what you think in the comments?
If you need some more inspiration for Halloween crafts, then check out and follow our Pinterest board for more amazing ideas.