This very simple pistachio shell kids craft uses pistachio shells which would otherwise be thrown away to make artwork or a card for someone special.
It was actually my daughter that came up with this idea. As I was munching my way through some pistachio nuts, and was about to discard the shells, she asked me what they were as she thought they looked like flower petals.
So we decided to keep the shells and turn them into some flower artwork, which we actually did as a card. It happened to be my Mum’s birthday coming up, so we made into into a card for her, but equally it would make a great Mother’s day card too.
So, if you would like to see how we created our Pistachio shell kids craft, then read on or pin it for later!
Pin ‘Pistachio Shell Kids Craft’ for later!
What You Will Need
- Pistachio shells- rinsed and dry
- Sheet of A4 cardstock
- Green pipe cleaners
- Glue- either hot glue gun or PVA for younger children
- Egg box
- Poster paints and paintbrushes
How You Make Your Pistachio Shell Kids Craft
1.If you are making a card then fold the sheet of A4 card in half. Otherwise you can do your artwork just on a flat sheet of card.
2. Cut out a section of the egg box to make your flower pot.
3. Paint the egg box section with brown or black poster paint. You may need to use two coats.
4. Paint the pistachio shells. We decided on 3 flowers and used 5 pistachio shells for each one. You can paint them different colours or all the same. We also painted a few pistachio shells green to add for leaves.
5. Lay out your buttons on the card where you want the centre of the flowers to be, then place the pistachio shells around each one to make sure you have enough room.
6. When you are happy with the layout it’s time to start sticking. Older children can use a hot glue gun, or younger children would find it easier to use PVA glue. If you are using PVA you need to apply a generous layer to the pistachio shell rim, and allow plenty of time to dry.
7. Once you are happy with your flowers, it’s time to add the pipe cleaner stems. Again lay them out first and cut to the desired length. When you are happy with the layout start sticking.
8. Finally add the egg box plant pot, and a few green pistachio shells for leaves, wait to dry, and you’re done.
That’s it! Simple but effective Pistachio shell kid’s craft. This card would be ideal for Mother’s day, or to just brighten up anyone’s day.
So what do you think of our Pistachio shell kids craft? I wonder what other designs you can come up with using pistachio shells.