I make a lot of cupcakes, for every family birthday, yearly occasion or sometimes just for the hell of it! I enjoy baking and cupcakes are great to get the kids involved in the kitchen, even if it is just to lick the spoon! This is my basic cupcake recipe, that I then alter as necessary. It’s my fail safe, and it hasn’t failed me yet.
My Basic Cupcake Recipe
This is a really easy recipe, that produces lovely vanilla flavoured moist cupcakes. It can be altered, and I often add different flavourings such as strawberry, food colourings for a bit of fun and you can also substitute some of the flour for cocoa powder to make delicious chocolate flavoured cupcakes. Once they are coked you can decorate them exactly as you wish, the only limit is your imagination!
Makes approximately 12 cupcakes
- 80g Self-raising flour
- 80g Plain flour
- 100g Butter (softened)
- 200g Caster sugar
- 2 Eggs (medium)
- 120mls Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- The ingredients need to be at room temperature, so I normally weigh out my butter, milk and get the eggs out of the fridge first thing in the morning.
- Preheat the oven to 180c (160 for fan oven).
- Cream the butter with the sugar until nice and fluffy in a mixer on a medium speed
- Crack the eggs into a bowl or jug and add to the butter and sugar slowly whilst the mixer is running, beating well so the ingredients are all incorporated.
- Weigh out the 2 different types of flour and sieve and combine into a separate bowl. Add a small amount of the flour, again whilst the mixer is running, and alternate between adding some milk, until all the flour and milk is added. Add the vanilla extract and beat until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Scrap down the sides of the mixture with a spatula and give it a good stir to make sure all the ingredients are well mixed in.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cupcake cases.
- Fill each cupcake case by about 2/3rds.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, you can test to see if they are done by inserting a wooden skewer into the centre of one of the cupcakes and if it comes out clean they are done.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 in the tin then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- Decorate as you wish!