There are several recipes for bacon and egg cups circulating on the web, I have tried several, often the egg is too runny or the toast is too soggy. So this is my version, adapted from several recipes and then tweaked to perfection. Perfect for a lazy Sunday morning brunch, and the kids love them too!
(Makes 6- 2 is a good adult portion size)
- 3 Slices of bread
- Butter (enough to grease pan and butter 3 slices of toast)
- 6 rashers of back bacon (with fat removed)
- 4 eggs
- Splash of milk
- 1 tbsp. chopped chives (fresh or frozen)
- 50g grated cheddar
- Pre-heat oven to 180C
- Lightly grease a muffin pan with a little butter
- Toast bread. Butter toast on one side, and cut out 2 circles from each slice using a pastry cutter large enough to cover the bottom of the muffin pans
- Cut the bacon rashers in half.
- Line each muffin case with a base of toast butter side up, and line the sides with 2 of the strips of bacon, overlapping them.
- Mix the eggs, milk, chives and grated cheese in a bowl and lightly beat together to incorporate the ingredients.
- Pour the egg mixture into each of the bacon ‘cups’.
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
NB. I am a home cook, and have had no formal training in preparing food. So these are just recipes that I use at home for the family. Whilst I have taken time to try and be as accurate as possible, some of the quantities are approximate. I am always keen to learn, so if you think the recipe can be improved upon please take the time to comment below. I also love seeing your versions.