This is a really simple tutorial to make your own twine heart. These twine hearts are a great rustic home decor, and I have several dotted around our house. They would also be ideal as a wedding decoration, or make a great gift for a friend or loved one.
DIY Twine Heart Tutorial
What You Will Need
- Heart shaped balloon
- Garden Twine
- Fabric Stiffener
- Old bowl
How to Make Your Twine Heart
- First blow up your balloon. I bought these small heart balloons from amazon (link at the bottom of the post), as I wanted small twine hearts. You can also use the large foil heart balloons that you can buy from greetings card shops if you want a larger decoration.
- Pour a small amount of fabric stiffener into the bowl. I used this ‘Stiffy’ fabric stiffener which I also bought from amazon. Keep the garden twine on the roll and put a small amount into the bowl soaking in the stiffener, leaving the free end accessible. If you put too much in at a time you risk it tangling.
- Tie the end of the twine to the knot of the balloon. THen start wrapping the twine around the balloon in a random fashion. As you pull the twine from the bowl, squeeze off the excess fabric stiffner and put more twine in to soak. This sounds complicated but you can get a little rhythm going. It is quite a messy job, so it’s not a bad idea to have a wipeable table cover and apron on. (unlike me!).
- When you have finished wrapping your twine around your balloon, secure the end to the balloon knot and hang to dry completely. We left ours overnight, and used a peg to hang it off of a clothes airer.
- When dry simple use a pin to pop the balloon and remove it. Tails of the knots can be trimmed.
- A simple loop of twine can be added so you can hang your twine heart, or you can push LED fairy lights into the heart for a different effect.
That’s it! A very simple heart craft for all abilities. What do you think? Is this something you would give a go?
*This post contains affliate links